Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a proactive approach to establishing the behavioral supports and social culture and needed for all students in a school to achieve social, emotional and academic success.
Admittedly, PBIS can feel foreign to those familiar with traditional punitive discipline systems. But adopting a PBIS framework schoolwide can have incredible benefits:
- Improves school culture
- Builds social skills
- Reduces office discipline referrals
- Reduces suspensions
- Increases instructional time
- Improves social and emotional development
- Improves school safety
- Increases student engagement
- Improves academic performance
- Increases family involvement
- Improves faculty retention
- Improves classroom management
Adoption of a PBIS framework has the potential to create radical change in the climate of a struggling school. For educators who are seeking to reach and teach every student in their charge, PBIS makes it possible.